IT Specialist (Systems Analysis/Applications Software) (12-Month Register)
Company: Department Of The Treasury
Location: Palm Springs
Posted on: March 16, 2023
WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT)DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
The incumbent ensures the integration of IT programs and services; developing solutions to integration/interoperability issues; and designing, developing, and managing IT security systems that meet current and future business requirements. Also, the incumbent is responsible for applying or extending, enhancing, or optimizing the existing architecture; managing assigned projects; communicating complex technical requirements to non-technical personnel; and preparing and presenting briefings to senior management officials on complex/controversial issues. Additional work assignments include leading IT systems development projects from design to support; evaluating the effectiveness of installed systems and services; and providing advice on and devising solutions to a wide range of IT issues. The incumbent performs the following specific assignments:
Independently serves as a technical expert for systems development and undertakes technically-complex projects/studies requiring coordination across functional lines service-wide.
Develops or assists other developers with software applications for the PC/Server/Web portal environment, using languages and technologies such as Java, J2EE, XML, HTML, SOAP, SQL, DB2, Oracle, Informatica, Greenplum, JSF, JSP, JBoss, JPA, EJB, other object oriented language, and/or other Web technologies. This includes understanding syntax as well as creating, compiling, executing, testing, and debugging programs, functions, and objects.
Drafts project plans for multifunctional development projects in software analysis, design, and implementation. Identifies resource requirements for major national projects and assigns tasks to project members, reports progress, and ensures customer and management involvement throughout the software development process.
Conditions of Employment
* If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
* Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to "Get Your Tax Record" at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
* Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
* Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
* Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the losing date of this announcement.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized experience GS-14 for this position includes: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Experience that demonstrates accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. In addition to the above you must have comprehensive knowledge of Java standard and enterprise edition. Experience in designing/developing software applications for the PC/Server/Web Portal environment (Internet and/or Intranet) including knowledge of setting up a Web site, designing Web applications, Web Services, establishing Web interfaces, creating style sheets and links, and Web authoring, and publishing. Expert knowledge of IT security concepts, standards, and methods; project management principles, methods, and practices including developing plans and schedules; estimating resource requirements, defining milestones and deliverables, monitoring activities, and evaluating and reporting on accomplishments.
TIME IN GRADE (TIG): Under merit promotion procedures, Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F. Time is credited based on calendar time served in a grade, regardless of the number of days or hours worked. If you currently hold or have previously held a position at the same (or equivalent) or higher grade/level in the Federal government as of this announcement, you will meet the TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENTS.
TIME AFTER COMPETITIVE APPOINTMENT: By the closing date (or if this is an open continuous announcement, by the cut-off date) specified in this job announcement, current civilian employees must have completed at least 90 days of federal civilian service since their latest non-temporary appointment from a competitive referral certificate, known as time after competitive appointment.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click here for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
* A 1-year probationary period is required.
* Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
* If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
* We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
* The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
* This is a bargaining unit position.
* Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday Day Shift - Start and stop times between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
* Six (6) vacancy's to filled in IRS locations.
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
* Positions may be filled in any area within IT
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 10/23/2023. The announcement will be used to fill an anticipated Six (6) vacancies. Selections may be made from certificates issued up to 12 months after the 1st cut-off date listed below. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available. Applicants need to apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of each of the following cutoff dates to be considered First Cutoff 01/03/2023, Second Cutoff 04/26/2023, Third Cutoff 07/25/2023, Fourth Cutoff 10/23/2023. This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12-month period if needed, not later than 5 days prior to the additional cut-off date or the final selection date.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 10/23/2023. This announcement will establish an inventory of applicants. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available.
Keywords: Department Of The Treasury, Palm Springs , IT Specialist (Systems Analysis/Applications Software) (12-Month Register), Other , Palm Springs, California
here to apply!