Lab Assistant Per Diem 10hr Rotate Lab
Location: palm springs
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Under the supervision of the Phlebotomy Supervisor, performs
accurate and skilled blood collection procedures and assists both
MD's and RN's with collections as indicated by staff physician
orders and section standards. Conducts all related duties as a
professional member of the health care team. Is responsible for
policies and procedures as they relate to communication and
collection of blood samples. Is responsible for adherence and
enforcement of all Hospital and Laboratory policies, to include
those initiated to prevent the accidental and unnecessary exposure
of self, patient or other employees to blood borne pathogens and
safety hazards. Total adherence to the Laboratory Compliance Plan.
Understands the physiological and psychological differences created
by age, sex, and abilities and applies them to the preanalytic,
analytic, and postanalytic components of laboratory testing.
Communicates professionally with coworkers as well as other
Hospital employees. Performs job using the Hospital customer
service strategy. Uses the knowledge of the job to work
productively, efficiently and harmoniously. Ensures and/or performs
routine maintenance of phlebotomy areas (to include patient rooms).
Displays professionalism, cooperation, and supports the overall
function of the section. Performs miscellaneous related duties, as
well as other duties as assigned.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Works accurately according to procedure manual and supervisor's
- Verifies proper specimen/test/patient identification.
- Enters orders, documents on logs/worksheets and performs result
entry within acceptable departmental limits.
- Correctly records and processes referral specimens.
- Notifies appropriate staff/clients when necessary, and
documents action taken.
- Takes responsibility for completion of daily routine duties
assigned to work area.
- Investigates and resolves pending and incomplete work, clerical
and technical discrepancies.
- Communicates necessary information to next shift.
- Performs and records quality control, takes and documents
- Maintains neat, organized records and work station.
- Successfully completes training within an acceptable time?frame
- Understands and retains knowledge of department
- Teaches and/or trains new employees according to department
guidelines and documents progress.
- Troubleshoots problems with procedures, QC, and
- Successfully participates in proficiency testing.
- Correlates physiological and psychological differences created
by age, sex, and abilities to appropriate components of laboratory
- Assists with departmental projects and management support as
- Recognizes abnormal results and/or questionable patient
information; follows department protocol for resolution.
- Evaluates specimen adequacy/integrity according to departmental
guidelines and optimal patient welfare.
- Investigates computer problems and resolves or reports to
- Initiates charge reconciliation when appropriate. (e.g., test
not performed, etc.).
- Functions responsibly in the absence of supervisory
- Demonstrates the ability to assess a situation, consider
alternatives, and choose an appropriate course of action.
- Knows when to involve supervisor and/or manager.
- Minimizes waste of supplies and equipment.
- Consistently completes testing within departmental
- Finishes assignments with minimal supervision and assistance
from fellow employees.
- Produces acceptable quantity of work.
- Is able to organize and complete several tasks simultaneously
without loss of accuracy.
- Productivity remains constant under pressures associated with
- Uses available time productively contributing to Lab
- Suggests and supports implementation of improvements to make
department more efficient.
- Restricts personal phone calls/activities
- Performs ordering, stocking, stock rotation and cleaning as
- Reports to work as scheduled, in accordance with hospital
policy, and takes responsibility to prevent absences and
- Demonstrates a consistently well organized approach to all
- Complies with hospital policy regarding breaks and lunch
- Practices appropriate safety and infection control
- Maintains clean and safe work areas.
- Supports all Lab and Hospital structural standards (i.e.
policies, procedures and regulations)
- Wears photo I.D. badge at all times while on hospital
- Provides proper identification in personal and phone
- Respects the patient's right to privacy by only discussing
clinically relevant information in appropriate surrounding.
- Responds to difficult situations with self-control and positive
- Communicates with co-workers with clarity and respect
- Shares responsibilities and willingly offers assistance to
- Recognizes and acknowledges the contribution of each
department/specialty. Encourages interdepartmental communication
- Sensitive to cultural, religious, sexual diversity
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have and maintain current CA Phlebotomist certification
- Must possess excellent organizational and public relations
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location: Palm Springs, California
Facility: Desert Regional Medical Center
Job Type: PT2Y
Shift Type: Rotate
Keywords: TENET, Palm Springs , Lab Assistant Per Diem 10hr Rotate Lab, Other , palm springs, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!