* Job Objective: A brief overview of the position. * The RN
Patient Placement Coordinator is responsible for patient flow
within the Eisenhower Medical Center. Assigns patients to an
appropriate hospital bed, monitors the demand for beds as needs
become known through the Emergency Department, O.R., Same Day
Surgery, Direct Admissions, and transfers from unit to unit within
the hospital inpatient population. Provides administrative
authority of accepting transfer patients to EMC. Functions in
conjunction with the Nursing Administrators, Admitting Department,
Nursing Supervisor, and Nursing Unit Clinical Coordinators.
Participates in capacity management and necessary triage and
evaluation of patients to prioritize bed assignments. Monitors and
projects bed availability based on known, predicted, or expected
transfers/discharges. Receives communication form Physicians and
their office staff for admission requests.
* Reports to * Director Nursing
* Supervises * N/A
* Ages of Patients * Pediatric
* Blood Borne Pathogens * Low Potential
* Qualifications * Education * Required: BSN or MSN or
enrollment in an RN-BSN or RN-MSN program within 1 year of hire and
completion within 5 years of hire if hired after July 1, 2012
* Licensure/Certification * Required: California RN License
* Experience * Required: Three (3) years prior RN experience
with direct patient care. Successful completion of required
competencies and training.
* Essential Responsibilities * Demonstrates compliance with Code
of Conduct and compliance policies, and takes action to resolve
compliance questions or concerns and report suspected
* Communication: * Collaborates with Emergency Department
physicians for admission and observation patients.
* Listens to staff regarding impediment to patient placement
(e.g. isolation, blocked rooms, T.B.).
* Demonstrate positive written and verbal communication skills
with physicians and staff.
* Communication of bed availability and predicted flow issues to
clinical coordinators and Emergency Department clinical
* Open communication with physicians' offices and inpatient
facilitates for determination of appropriate patient placement.
* Direction: * Support unit management in an agreed upon manner
to maintain benchmark standards of productivity and stability.
* Ability to relocate staff in collaboration with clinical
directors and coordinators throughout shifts.
* Facilitates availability of material resources and supplies to
enhance staff job performance.
* Exhibit mature behavior when directing and enhancing effective
* Planning: * Collaboration with staff, early in shift,
regarding physician notification of discharge needs.
* Demonstrates and adherence to Code of Conduct and Compliance
Policies acting to resolve compliance questions or concerns
regarding suspected violations.
* Develop effective relationships to facilitate early
* Rounds on hospitalized patients and staff to achieve early
* Patient Flow: * Rounds at each unit at start of shift and
throughout shift to ascertain potential discharges and facilitate
to appropriate discharge status.
* Maintains fluid discussion with appropriate unit clinical
director and coordinators for bed availability placement.
* Provides direction for all patient flow operations within
* Participates in organization bed patient flow meetings.
* Directs transporters on prioritization to achieve optimal
* Prioritizes Emergency Department patient placement by rounding
with Emergency Department physicians and clinical coordinators.
* Maintains knowledge of bed placement system to maintain
* Maintains bed placement screen for timely information on
patient admissions and location of appropriate bed.
* Prioritization of post-op cases, directs admits and Emergency
* Performs other duties as assigned.