RN Med Surg ICU Full Time Days
Company: Desert Regional Medical Center
Location: Palm Springs
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Desert Regional Medical Center is a 385 bed acute-care hospital
classified as a stroke receiving center and level 2 trauma facility
with an innovative , patient centered and evidence-based
Rehabilitation Services Department. Our compassionate team provides
a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services, including acute
care rehabilitation,joint replacement & spinal surgery,
neurosurgery, ICU, Telemetry, step-down care, skilled nursing, as
well as outpatient therapy, hand and lymphedema clinics.
The Clinical Nurse assumes principal responsibility for the total
nursing care, assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation of
each assigned patient. The staff nurse initiates teaching and
educates the patient and family/or significant other to attain
optimal health. Access to all Patient Health Information for
treatment purposes only.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Obtains information and interpret information in terms of the
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development.
- Understands the range of treatment needed as appropriate to the
ages of the patients served.
- Independently cares for two critically ill patients.
- Assesses and recognizes change in condition and notifies the
physician appropriately; report to physician is accurate and
concise; documents completely including reassessments.
- Provides head to toe critical assessment and reports utilizing
critical thinking skills; includes change in condition; treatment
rendered and vasoactive medication dosages.
- Manages multiple drips and sedation.
- Assesses and cares for patients on ventilators and understands
alarms and parameters of the patient.
- Understands hemodynamic status of the patient; correlates swan
reading BP; UO to assess appropriately.
- Assists with bedside procedures- arterial line,
- Initiates interdisciplinary communications and incorporates
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate to the ages of the patients served on the
- Acts as a liaison between patient, physicians,
family/significant other and other health disciplines.
- Develops, implements and updates an individualized teaching and
- Initiates and documents progressive patient and
- Facilitates the discharge process ensuring all goals are
addressed prior to discharge.
- Utilizes current theories and knowledge for accurate
assessments and evaluations.
- Completes acuity evaluation on all assigned patients according
to unit protocol.
- Consistently performs proficiently on nursing unit. Including
but not limited to: Manages an average caseload specific to unit.
Adapts to altered work patterns, sets priorities, and modifies
assignments to meet patient needs utilizing available resources and
staff ability and availability.
- Administers medications prescribed by physicians according to
policy, including IV's, blood and blood products. Knows actions,
indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions,
dosage and route of administration on all drugs before
administering to patient
- Verifies against MAR for accuracy on an ongoing basis.
- Consistently recognizes, evaluates and intervenes appropriately
in life-threatening situations.
- Consistently checks for new patient orders throughout the shift
and implements them in an appropriate timeframe.
- Completes an end of shift review of physician orders.
- Consistently recognizes variances of diagnostic tests, vital
signs and assessments. Notifies the physician in time appropriate
to the variance.
- Functions as a charge nurse as assigned.
- Supports changes in clinical practice as evidenced by the plan
of care for the patient and subsequent documentation.
- Functions as a resource to co-workers. Acts as preceptor, and
other duties as assigned.
- Ensures compliance with Departmental policies and procedures.
Assume responsibility for knowledge and implementation of policy,
procedure, practice, CPG, changes.
- Maintains competence in nursing practice through in-services
and participation in ongoing continuing education per year.
- Participates in the Quality Improvement Program.
- Follows appropriate chain of command for problem resolution
approaching problem solving with a positive attitude and
- Consistently demonstrates accountability for supervision and
communication when assigned with students/orientates, and float
- Reports, documents, and takes appropriate action (by the end of
shift) for incidents and or quality care issues that may affect the
patient's or staff well-being.
- Consistently assesses patients for risk of injury and takes
appropriate action to reduce risk and promote safety.
- Uses restraints according to policy and consistently explores
other options less restrictive. Accurate documentation demonstrated
in medical record.
- Serves as advocate for patient/family by providing information
and assists in utilization of available resources and or
alternatives for making health care decisions (i.e. advanced
directives, ethics consult etc.)
- Handles and disposes hazardous waste safely and
- Consistently handles oxygen safely
- Consistently practices hand washing and use of protective
- Establishes or assesses proper identification prior to delivery
- Requests clarification of Physician orders as necessary
2 to 3 years recent ICU Experience
- Current CA Registered Nurse License
- Associate Degree in Nursing from an accredited school of
nursing (ADN for Job Code G70AK only)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from an accredited school of
nursing (BSN for Job Code G70AD only)
- Current American Heart Association BLS certification (maintain
current at all times)
- Current American Heart Association ACLS certification (maintain
current at all times)
- Effective verbal and written skills to communicate with people
on all levels and able to maintain positive working relationships
with parents, families, and co-workers
- Possess active listening skills
- Compassionate and non judgmental care giver and advocate
- Able to independently manage multiple priorities
- Must comply with Respiratory Fit Testing Protection Policy
- Must successfully complete EKG test within the first 30 days of
entry into this position NIHSS within the first 30 days of entry
into this position
Pay range: $51.66 - $79.4 an hour
Individual wages are determined based upon a number of factors
including, but not limited to, an individual's qualifications and
Tenet complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding
mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this
position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will
be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval
of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If
you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will
be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an
applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status
or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable
accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless
doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Keywords: Desert Regional Medical Center, Palm Springs , RN Med Surg ICU Full Time Days, Healthcare , Palm Springs, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...