RN 1 East Med Surg FT Nights
Company: Desert Regional Medical Center
Location: Palm Springs
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Desert Regional Medical Center is a 385 bed acute-care hospital
classified as a stroke receiving center and level 2 trauma facility
with an innovative , patient centered and evidence-based
Rehabilitation Services Department. Our compassionate team provides
a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services, including acute
care rehabilitation,joint replacement & spinal surgery,
neurosurgery, ICU, Telemetry, step-down care, skilled nursing, as
well as outpatient therapy, hand and lymphedema clinics. GENERAL
DUTIES: The Clinical Nurse assumes principal responsibility for the
total nursing care, assessment, planning, implementation,
evaluation of each assigned patient. The staff nurse initiates
teaching and educates the patient and family/or significant other
to attain optimal health. Access to all Patient Health Information
for treatment purposes only. DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Obtains and interprets information in terms of the patients
needs. Performs hourly rounding.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development.
- Utilizes current theories and knowledge for accurate
assessments and evaluations
- Understands the range of treatment needed as appropriate to the
ages of the patients served.
- Consistently demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to
provide care appropriate to the ages of the patients served on the
- Maintains current corresponding competencies for the job
- Performs and documents accurate comprehensive shift assessments
- Demonstrates knowledge on disease processes specific to the
patient population in the unit.
- Initiates interdisciplinary communications and incorporates
- Develops, implements and updates an individualized plan of care
including teaching and discharge plan.
- Acts as a liaison between patient, physicians,
family/significant other and other health disciplines
- Facilitates the discharge process and addressing all goals
prior to discharge by working with other disciplines.
- Completes acuity evaluation promptly on all assigned
- Consistently performs nursing duties proficiently and
independently, including but not limited to, manages an average
caseload specific to unit, adapts to altered work patterns, sets
priorities, and patient assignment changes to meet patient needs
utilizing available resources and staff ability.
- Administers medications prescribed by physicians according to
policy, including but not limited to, IVs and blood and blood
products. Knows and performs patient education on actions,
indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions/side
effects, dosage and route of administration on all drugs before
administering to patient.
- Verifies physician orders against MAR for accuracy on an
- Consistently checks for new patient orders throughout the shift
and implements them in a timely manner according to policy,
protocol and standards. Completes an end of shift review of
- Consistently recognizes variances of diagnostic tests, vital
signs and assessments. Promptly notifies the physician appropriate
to the variance.
- Consistently recognizes, evaluates and intervenes appropriately
in life-threatening situations.
- Functions as a charge nurse as assigned.
- Supports and communicates changes in clinical practice as
evidenced by the handoff report, plan of care for the patient and
- Mentors other co-workers, functions as a resource, acts as
preceptor, and other duties as assigned.
- Ensures compliance to and knowledge of policies, standards,
protocols and procedures.
- Participates in quality improvement initiatives of the unit
and/or the hospital.
- Follows appropriate chain of command for conflict resolution,
approaching problem solving with a positive attitude and
- Consistently demonstrates accountability for supervision and
communication when assigned with students, unlicensed assistive
personnel, and float personnel.
- Reports, documents, and takes appropriate action (by the end of
shift) for incidents and or quality care issues that may affect the
patient or staff well-being.
- Consistently assesses patients for risk of injury and takes
appropriate action to reduce risk and promote safety.
- Uses restraints according to policy and consistently explores
other options less restrictive. Documents accurately in medical
- Serves as advocate for patient/family by providing information
and assists in utilization of available resources and or
alternatives for making health care decisions (i.e. advanced
directives, ethics consult etc.)
- Handles and disposes hazardous waste safely and
- Consistently handles oxygen safely
- Consistently practices hand washing and use of protective wear
- Performs bedside hand off according to policy and
establishes/assesses proper patient identification prior to
delivery of care.
- Requests clarification of physician orders as necessary
- Attends and/or completes all education required by the facility
or the director in a timely manner
- Other duties as assigned by unit director Qualifications
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS: Required:
- Current CA Registered Nurse License (maintain current at all
- BSN (G70AD ONLY)
- ADN (G70AK ONLY)
- Current American Heart Association BLS (maintain current at all
- Effective verbal and written skills to communicate with people
on all levels and able to maintain positive working relationships
with parents, families, and co-workers
- Possess active listening skills
- Compassionate and non-judgmental caregiver and advocate
- Ability to manage multiple priorities independently
- Must comply with Respiratory Fit Testing Protection Policy
- Ability to use computer for documentation Preferred:
- Current American Heart Association ACLS #LI-CM1 Tenet complies
with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory
vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and
must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required
to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a
religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you
receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be
required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
Pay Range: $51.66 - $79.40 Individual wages are determined based
upon a number of factors including, but not limited to, an
employee's qualifications and experience.Employment practices will
not be influenced or affected by an applicant's or employee's race,
color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age,
disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally
protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for
qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would
result in an undue hardship.
Keywords: Desert Regional Medical Center, Palm Springs , RN 1 East Med Surg FT Nights, Healthcare , Palm Springs, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...