Market Chief Medical Officer - Palm Springs, CA
Company: NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association)
Location: Palm Springs
Posted on: November 23, 2022
POSITION SUMMARY: The Market Chief Medical Officer reports
directly to the Market Chief Executive Officer of the South
California Market and has a matrix relationship and accountability
to the Chief Medical Officer of Tenet Healthcare Corporation. The
Market Chief Medical Officer will serve as the hospital grouping's
Senior Executive Clinical Leader responsible for assuring
successful operation of medical staff functions and continuous
improvement in safety and quality and will be committed to the
mission of service and improvement of patient clinical outcomes.
The Market CMO serves as the liaison and resource to management on
matters pertaining to four key areas:
- Medical Staff Engagement and Outreach which includes
collaboration with the medical staff members, especially elected
medical staff leaders and overseeing credentialing, privileging,
OPPE and peer review;
- Quality, Patient Safety and Experience: assuring performance on
quality metrics and securing patient safety and experience;
- Streamlining Clinical Processes: Adhering to evidence based
best practice and working to standardize a Tenet Operating System,
working with the Physician Advisors to maximize documentation
- Partnering with Hospitals' Chief Nursing Officers to provide
seamless clinical leadership. FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS &
REQUIREMENTS: The Market Chief Medical Officer provides leadership
and involvement in all initiatives and concerns involving patient
safety, quality, and infection control and risk management and
patient service, especially those related to physician issues.
Other key accountabilities include the following:
- Leadership and involvement in initiatives involving patient
safety, quality, infection control and risk management and patient
service, especially those related to physician issues.
- Responsible for assuring a robust credentialing and peer review
process, ensuring issues on the part of the medical staff are
addressed fairly and timely.
- Active participation in the Physician Advisor program including
monitoring of the appropriateness of procedures, admissions and
utilization of resources.
- Oversight of other Medical Directors at the hospital and
evaluation of their job performance in addition to collaboration
with the Hospital Compliance Officer regarding physician issues
that involve regulatory compliance.
- Assist with issues regarding compliance with Federal and State
law and accrediting and licensing agencies.
- Integrates departmental services with the organization's
primary functions and coordinates with other departments/services
in a manner that fosters a collaborative environment for
- Models and provides leadership for delivery of excellent
customer service and ensures the successful implementation of
effective strategies and approaches.
- Leads efforts that will establish the hospitals as a top
performer as defined by externally reported measures of
performance, e.g. CMS' Value Based Purchasing Program.
- Serves as a resource for the vetting, development and
implementation of related activities within Tenet and promotes
standardization such as the Tenet Operating System.
- Works with physicians and administration to identify key market
drivers and develop plans and strategies to address trends and
future business development efforts.
- Provides leadership and fosters alignment of physicians and
physician services within the hospital's strategic plan and
clinical program priorities.
- In partnership with Communications, develops and implements
physician communication strategies that inform, promote information
exchange, and socialization.
- Provides service, guidance, and promotion of quality standards
through audits, peer review, quality management, and education
- Promotes information sharing, benchmarking, and best practice
identification across the system.
- If a residency program is in place, the Chief Medical Officer
addresses efforts to improve and expand residency rotations at the
- In cooperation with the Physician Advisor, works with Medical
Records and Medical Staff on coding/quality issues and the use of
principal, co-principal, and secondary diagnoses.
- Addresses patient family provider grievances and follows up on
- Plays a key role in decision-making processes regarding new
procedures/devices being planned by various members of the Medical
Staff and assists in the development of clinical and business plans
for the hospitals.
- Promotes and supports the Medical Staff Ethics Committee.
- Assists in updating physician recruitment plan and oversees
physician recruitment visits.
- Monitors physician resources consumption and supports the
development and implementation of standards for equipment,
supplies, procedures and technology utilization.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on physician-requested
capital budget items.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP - EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS: As a
leader in healthcare, Tenet is committed to providing the best
possible care to every patient, with a clear focus on quality and
service. Strong leadership is essential to delivering on this
commitment, and we believe that the quality of our leaders can give
us a significant long-term competitive advantage. We want to ensure
every current and future leader in Tenet is successful, and we
support that through our selection and hiring process and by
providing coaching and training to our leaders. In this regard, we
have identified core competencies that will enable a leader to
succeed at Tenet, and have defined them within the following five
areas critical to performance: Leadership Competencies
- Demonstrated management, leadership and executive capabilities
- Results driven
- Identifies opportunities
- Sets goals & targets
- Holds to personal & team accountability
- Demonstrates persistence
- Leads organizational change
- Focuses on driving value
- Pursues innovation
- Appropriate risk taking
- Catalyst for change
- Overcomes resistance
- Problem solving capabilities
- Demonstrates effective decision-making capability
- Analyzes information
- Involves others
- Takes decisive action
- High emotional intelligence
- Strong strategic planning skills and effective in leading
multidisciplinary teams in the execution of strategic initiatives
- Demonstrates strategic influence
- Formulates effective strategy
- Demonstrates value and business case for quality
- Achieves organizational alignment around strategic
- Effective communication skills
- Capable and compelling organizational clinical
- Effective presentation skills
- Oral and written skills that are clear, concise and exert
- Talent development capabilities (build a team, communicate a
vision and produce results)
- Effective coach & mentor
- Active listener
- Pursues and cultivates partnerships
- Inspires passion and builds high performing teams Technical
- Clinical expertise and strong track record as a practicing
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical practice
- Remains current on emerging medical issues
- Clear understanding of medical practice standards
- Supports local medical staff governance in physician
credentialing, privileging and peer review processes
- Clinical leadership in patient safety, quality and performance
- Drives the principles of high reliability throughout the
- Has expert knowledge of quality, process and performance
- Demonstrates project management capabilities
- Applied knowledge of information systems, data tools and
- Demonstrates proficiency in clinical information systems and
- Identifies, communicates, utilizes, and improves key
- Analyzes, interprets, synthesizes, and presents data
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in application of
evidence-based care, clinical standards and order sets
- Demonstrates understanding of financial systems, reimbursement
mechanisms, legal and regulatory issues
- Knowledge of TJC accreditation standards and process
- Working knowledge of healthcare payment, insurance,
reimbursement, cost and economics.
- Provides clinical perspective on medico-legal matters
- Demonstrates knowledge of managed care and healthcare policy
- Drives clinical integration and alignment
- Works effectively with medical staff along the entire continuum
of physician clinical integration (affiliate through employed
- Supports hospital leadership in the development, implementation
and maintenance of effective physician leadership groups
- Partners with elected medical staff leaders and other clinical
thought leaders to ensure alignment of organizational strategic
priorities and goals
- Establishes effective internal and external relationships
- Cultivates working relationships across the organization based
on trust and transparency
- Develops an external network across the medical community and
- Maintains high levels of professionalism, credibility and
respect amongst diverse groups of stakeholders CANDIDATE
EXPERIENCE, ATTRIBUTES AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: A demonstrated
track record of superior performance in physician leadership roles;
a background should have been gained ideally in a health system or
major medical group that is recognized for excellence in clinical
care and contemporary medical management practices. The successful
candidate will be recognized for knowledge in clinical process
improvement. Business skills in planning, use of information
systems, financial management, budgeting, reimbursement and managed
care, healthcare economics, medical practice management, human
resources management and team building, program development,
community education, and marketing/referral base development.
Clinical leadership skills in quality and utilization management,
clinical effectiveness and outcomes, clinical staff development,
case management, clinical protocol development, and solid knowledge
of TJC accreditation processes. Demonstrated knowledge of managed
care and health policy in addition to superior clinical competence
and track record as a practicing physician. Significant
understanding of and experience with performance improvement and
quality management programs. Professional Attributes
- Effective communication skills and an individual who is able to
quickly synthesize, as well as apply, new information in order to
make effective decisions.
- A strong leader who is open to change and adapts to new
conditions or unexpected obstacles, and works efficiently under
adversity and through difficult transitions.
- Ability to build a team and produce strategic and operating
results while balancing interests of multiple stakeholders and
customers at a large, complex facility in a regional or corporate
- Capable of identifying and successfully managing core issues
amongst a multitude of information and open to executing new and
innovative approaches to problem resolution.
- An individual who has successfully driven initiatives that
require coordination from multiple constituencies such as human
resources, finance, information systems, lab, and pharmacy.
- A collaborative leader who will inspire confidence and
establish a sense of common direction and vision for the medical
- An individual with high personal and professional
- Sensitive to the proper concerns of the staff, but able to
appropriately balance these concerns with the overall institutional
- Committed to the highest quality of patient care.
Education/Certification An M.D. or D.O. degree is required and an
MBA, or other advanced management degree, is preferred. A Medical
License in the applicable state is also required. Certification by
one of the Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties is
also required. Compensation A competitive compensation program will
be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be
supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded
benefits program, which includes relocation assistance. Travel
Approximately 25 percent. Tenet complies with federal, state,
and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce.
If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any
applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full
vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical
exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption
from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to
regular testing in accordance with the law. *AONE19* Employment
practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant's or
employee's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any
other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable
accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless
doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Keywords: NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association), Palm Springs , Market Chief Medical Officer - Palm Springs, CA, Executive , Palm Springs, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!